How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks
It seems that regardless of where you look today, whether it be on television, online, or in stores, there is a so-called “miracle product” demanding your attention. Stretch mark removal is just one of the innumerable markets inundated by claims as to which product is the best. What is an educated woman to do? The best advice is simply to educate yourself on your options, conveniently listed here for your convenience.
Over- the -Counter Options
When it comes to stretch mark products, the options for creams and lotions seems almost endless. In order to select the best product, consider the ingredients present in some of the most popular products.
- Aloe Vera: All natural, amazing moisturizing abilities.
- Palmitoyl Pentapeptide- 3: Increases production of collagen and elastin, repairing damaged skin.
- Siegesbeckia Orientalis: Quickly helps reduce the appearance of stretch marks through increased collagen regeneration.
- Shea Butter: Helps prevent stretch marks by moisturizing the skin.
- Retinyl Palmitate: No side effects, makes skin look young and healthy.
- Palmitoyl Oligopeptide: Deep hydration abilities, improves the skin’s ability to produce collagen.
Options Available at a Dermatologist
Dermatologists have the ability to offer a number of additional options to remove stretch marks. However, as with any medical procedure, there comes a significant price tag included with these treatments, particularly since insurance does not cover such cosmetic procedures. If you are one of the lucky ones with piles of money to throw around, there are a few different treatments your dermatologist or plastic surgeon may recommend.
- Micro dermabrasion
- Buffs impurities off the skin, reducing the appearance of stretch marks.
- Minimum of 12 treatments.
- $75- $200 per treatment.
- Does not completely remove stretch marks, rather it makes them less noticeable.
- Increases skin elasticity by improving collagen production.
- Laser Surgery
- Effective on red or purple stretch marks.
- Not effective on silver stretch marks.
- Effective only on lighter skin tones.
- Total price of $5,000- $10,000.
- Touted by cosmetic surgeons, disputed by many dermatologists.
- Requires regular follow-up visits to maintain any results.
- Tummy Tuck Surgery
- Originally designed to remove stomach fat, tummy tucks are now being used to remove excess skin, including stretch marks.
- Comes with the risks inherit in any major surgery, including infection and even death.
- May require additional surgery in case of any mistakes.
- Costs $3,000- $8,500
- Radio Frequency
- Relatively new treatment with few reliable studies conducted.
- Heats up the deep layers of the skin to improve collagen production.
- $600- $1000 per visit.
- Requires between 4 and 6 sessions generally.
- Completely pain-free and without side effects.
As may be seen, there are a number of options to choose from when selecting a method of reducing the appearance of stretch marks. Quite frankly, physicians report that the only real way to completely remove stretch marks is by surgical removal, or a tummy tuck. Stretch marks occurring elsewhere will require treatment via other methods. Anyone looking for an affordable method of reducing the appearance of their stretch marks should strongly consider choosing a stretch mark cream specifically designed with this in mind.